Want to give dinner in an exotic twist? How about trying sushi that’s taken in a completely new direction! Today I’m so pleased to share with you a recipe for Vegetarian Sushi with Kashmir Curry Dipping Sauce.
Sure, you don’t often think of curry and sushi in the same sentence, but why not? If we look at a sheet of nori like the bread that holds a sandwich together, we can begin to get creative about what we put on the inside.
How to Make Vegetarian Sushi with Kashmir Curry Dipping Sauce
I began this sushi recipe with the desire to use Tasty Bite Basmati Rice because of its unique flavor profile. However, If you know anything about sushi, you know that basmati is not typically used in it. That’s because sushi typically requires a specific kind of rice referred to as sticky rice. Without it, the whole thing kind of falls apart. Literally.
Basmati is a long-grain rice. It’s the opposite of sticky. If you put it in sushi, the whole thing crumbles in transit from the plate to your mouth.
So, why did I use Basmati Rice in this sushi recipe? Because I created a little trick to magically transform Basmati Rice into sticky rice. I added a little bit of ground flax seeds and chia seeds with water and then combined that with one bag of Tasty Bite Basmati Rice. Both ground flax and chia seeds create a binding gel when exposed to water. I was hoping that gel would do the trick.
I love the flavor of Basmati Rice so I was hoping this would work, and it did! The sushi held together perfectly!
Then I fried up a little bit of marinated tofu using the Tasty Bite Kashmir Curry Spice & Simmer Kit. I rolled all that up with a little bit red cabbage, cilantro and some greens and voila! A very exotic and delicious Vegetarian Sushi with Kashmir Curry Dipping Sauce, ready in less than 30 minutes!
What You’ll Love About this Recipe
It’s definitely a mashup of two different taste profiles, but the Vegetarian Sushi with Kashmir Curry Dipping Sauce is definitely a nice break from tradition. This recipe is also so easy, you’ll have it on the table in 30 minutes, from start to finish!
This dish is:
Tasty Bite has prepared step-by-step packets with just the right seasonings to make you feel like a chef in the kitchen, without all the work. Simply add 1 Tasty Bite pre-cooked Basmati Rice packet, your own tofu, nori sheets, red cabbage, cilantro, and some greens and leave the rest up to us!
On-the-Go Asian Food Gourmet with Tasty Bite
Introducing Tasty Bite Kashmir Curry Spice & Simmer Packets — just add your own extras and you’ll be singing “Dinner’s Ready” in no time!
The Tasty Bite Spice & Simmer Packets add an On-The-Go Gourmet to your busy weeknight meals. These packets include whole spices, like star anise, whole cinnamon, and more that will transform the look and aroma of your kitchen into a chef’s paradise!
With easy-to-follow instructions, and minimal ingredients, you can have a gourmet dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Treat yourself and your family to an indulgent, delicious, and oh-so-easy dinner today.
Recipe: Vegetarian Sushi with Kashmir Curry Dipping Sauce
- One half of a 14 oz package extra firm tofu, rinsed and pressed
- 9.5 oz package Tasty Bite Kashmir Curry Spice & Simmer Kit
- 9 oz package Tasty Bite Basmati Rice
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4-5 Nori Sheets
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 cup greens, such as baby spinach or watercress
1. Cut the tofu into thin, long strips and place in a lidded container. Add the Tasty Bite Kashmir Curry Spice & Simmer Packet and use your hands to gently massage the marinade so that all the tofu is coated. Set aside for 20 minutes.
2. In the meantime, combine the Tasty Bite Basmati Rice with the ground flax, chia seeds and water. Stir to combine. Set aside.
3. Pour 1 tablespoon tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat add the whole spices from the Spice & Simmer kit. Cook and stir the whole spices in the oil for about 30 seconds.
4. Add the marinated tofu to the spicy oil, laying each piece flat. Cook until the tofu is slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Use tongs to turn the tofu. Cook the other side until browned, about 5 minutes.
5. Place one nori sheet on a bamboo roller. Add a thin layer of the basmati rice mixture and spread to cover about 2/3 of the sheet. Top this with thin layers of the sliced red cabbage, a couple of pieces of the cooked tofu, some cilantro leaves and some of the greens.
6. Use the bamboo roller to roll the nori, using your fingers to press down on the nori. Roll it tightly to the end. Set the roll, seam side down, to the side. Repeat with the other nori sheets until you’re out of toppings.
7. Slice each of the rolls into 5-6 equally sized sushi bites.
8. Pour the Spice & Simmer Sauce Packet into a bowl and use this as a dipping sauce for your sushi.
9. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.