As the summer comes to a bittersweet end, college students are preparing to return back to campus for another year of learning and new experiences. With a new school year comes an opportunity for a fresh start – a time to establish good habits outside of academics such as routine exercise and healthy eating. It can be easy to get overwhelmed and stressed from academics and extracurricular groups; however, a simple way to stay happy is to stay healthy. Here are some tips to keep in mind for staying healthy in college this semester:
- Limiting late night food and snacks: College students are well-known to eat late night pizza and junk food during a long night of studying or when just hanging out with friends. However, it is important to be mindful of how many calories are consumed at night because they can quickly lead to weight gain.
- Portion control: College cafeterias that have all-you-can-eat buffets can be wonderful, but also dangerous because you may forget how much you are eating. Keep in mind that each serving of protein, vegetables, and grains should be about the size of your fist.
- Cook on your own: Eating out and in cafeterias can be convenient but keep in mind that it can also be expensive and unhealthy. Try cooking in your own dorm or kitchen for healthier, cheaper meals. It can be fun to cook with friends or roommates!
Cooking can be easy and fun with Tasty Bite’s® products, whether you are a beginner or advanced cook. Tasty Bite® features a variety of global flavors made from real ingredients. The products come in slim packages that you can store in the pantry. There are a wide range of Indian and Asian products that you can quickly heat up in the microwave and have a meal ready in minutes. Although the Tasty Bite® meals taste delicious on their own, you can also mix it up by adding your own flair to the pre-packaged meals. Here are 5 easy recipes you can make with Tasty Bite® in your own dorm room!
Quick Stir Fried Rice
- 2 cups of frozen vegetables (carrots, peas, and corn)
- 1 pack of Tasty Bite® Brown Rice (can also use other types of rice)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- In a bowl, microwave 2 cups of frozen vegetables on high for 1 minute.
- Take out bowl and microwave Tasty Bite® Brown Rice for 90 seconds.
- Pour the rice into the bowl with the vegetables.
- Add soy sauce and mix well.
- ½ box of rotini (or pasta of choice)
- 1 pack of Tasty Bite® Punjab Eggplant
- Add pasta with enough water to cover it in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Look at the suggested microwave time on the pasta box and add three minutes to it. Microwave for that amount of time, until cooked soft.
- Drain excess water.
- Microwave a pack of Tasty Bite® Punjab Eggplant.
- Add contents of the Punjab Eggplant packet to the pasta and and stir well.
Aloo Gobi (Indian Potatoes and Cauliflower)
- 3 cups cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 pack of Tasty Bite® Bombay Potatoes
- Place cauliflower florets in a microwave-safe bowl with about ¼ cup of water. Cover bowl with a paper towel and microwave for 4-5 minutes until tender.
- Drain excess water.
- Microwave a pack of Tasty Bite® Bombay Potatoes and pour into a bowl. Add steamed cauliflower and stir well.
Channa Masala Burrito
- 1 cup plain yogurt (use vegan yogurt for dairy-free)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 small cucumber, washed but not peeled
- 1-2 small tablespoons, minced red onion
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro leaves (optional)
- 1 package Tasty Bite® Basmati Rice
- 1 package Tasty Bite® Channa Masala
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 4 (8” or larger) tortillas
- Garnish with additional cilantro leaves and sour cream
- Place the yogurt in a bowl and add the chia seeds.
- Shred the cucumber (including the skin) until you measure out about ½ cup total. Place the shredded cucumber in a paper towel and squeeze over the sink to remove extra liquid. Place the shredded, pressed cucumber in the bowl with the yogurt. Add the minced red onion, lime juice and chopped cilantro leaves. Stir until combined. Set aside.
- Open the Tasty Bite® Basmati Rice and heat in a microwave as directed by the package. Do the same with the Channa Masala packet.
- Place one of the tortillas on a plate and warm for about 10 seconds in the microwave.
- Spoon half of the Tasty Bite® Basmati Rice on the tortilla. Top with half of the Tasty Bite® Channa Masala. Top with a few slices of the red cabbage and then drizzle with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce.
- To wrap burritos, either fold one end toward the middle and then turn and flip both sides in over that end (for a one-side open burrito) OR fold both ends toward the middle and turn and flip both sides in over the ends (for both sides closed).
- Reserve some of the Cucumber Yogurt Sauce on the side for dipping.
Madras Lettuce Wraps
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, rinsed
- 2 pouch Tasty Bite® Madras Lentils
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- 2 cups of radishes, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Heat Tasty Bite® Madras Lentils in microwave for 1 minute.
- Separate leaves from head of lettuce.
- Layer on vegetable toppings equally on lettuce leaves.
- Top each lettuce wrap with a spoonful of Tasty Bite® Madras Lentils.
With Tasty Bite®, you can make quick, easy and flavorful meals – the perfect combination for college students. These ready-made packages make it easy to cook with savory Indian spices such as cardamom, cilantro, and turmeric. Want more recipe ideas? Check out this recipe for Vegetarian Sushi with Kashmir Curry Dipping Sauce or this recipe for Szechuan Chickpea Soft Tacos!